One common topic on this blog is the Atlantic horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus. Most certainly this is a product of where I grew up. As a person from Cape May County, NJ, I came to appreciate the horseshoe crab in all its humility and glory. There is also a story that will be told for decades of how I ended up having to bring my dear mother on a late night horseshoe crab survey of which the data sheet blew away in the wind when we completed our task (… always have a rubber band around the clip board!).
Here is a listing of the horseshoe crab posts found on BCS:
- The world’s horseshoe crab research finally finds a home
- Do all horseshoe crabs molt?
- What happens if the tide leaves the horseshoe crab stranded?
- How to track a horseshoe crab
- Witness the horseshoe crab molting process
- Why is the blood of horseshoe crabs blue?
- How have horseshoe crabs been able to remain unchanged for centuries?
- Atlantic horseshoe crab infographic
- “The Timeless Traveler” a new documentary by River Bank Studio
- What do you spy with a horseshoe crab eye?
- Scientists discover new living fossil. What is a living fossil?
- 13 apps for your day at the beach
- 30 reasons to be grateful for the ocean
- “Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” P.J. O’Rourke
- It’s as easy as A, B, Sea: X for Xiphosura
- It’s as easy as A, B, Sea: H for Horseshoe Crab
- Where have all the horseshoe crabs gone?
- Just Flip ‘Em
- Why are horseshoe crabs essential to biotechnology?
- Are horseshoe crabs dangerous?
- More reasons why I love the Atlantic Horseshoe Crab…
- The First Beach Chair Scientist post is about my favorite animal – The Atlantic Horseshoe Crab
Horseshoe crab resources:
- Fish and Wildlife Service
- Maryland Department of Natural Resources
- University of Delaware: Sea Grant
- The Assateague Naturalist
Please feel free to email if there is anything you would like covered on this topic or any great resources you’d like to share (email@example.com).
Also, here are some of my horseshoe crab pictures from the excursion with my mom.
Check out more pictures here!